The Centers for Disease Control has advised people to take precautions in light of the COVID-19 virus outbreak and noted that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Therefore, effective immediately, per order of Chief Judge Sippel effective March 13, 2020, the following persons shall not enter any courthouse in the Eastern District of Missouri:
- Persons who have traveled to any foreign country within the last 14 days;
- Persons who reside or have had close contact with someone who has travelled to any foreign country within the last 14 days;
- Persons who have been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital or health agency;
- Persons who have been diagnosed with, or have had contact with, anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19;
- Persons with unexplained fever, cough or shortness of breath.
Anyone attempting to enter in violation of these protocols will be denied entry by a Court Security Officer.
If you have a scheduled appointment or you are otherwise required to appear at one of the courthouses in the Eastern District of Missouri, and you are unable to appear because of the restrictions listed above, you should proceed as follows:
- If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney;
- If you are in Cape Girardeau or dealing with a matter concerning the Limbaugh Courthouse, please contact the Cape divisional office at 573-331-8800; if there is no response please contact the main District Clerk’s Office in St. Louis at 314-244-7900;
- If you are an attorney scheduled to appear in District Court before a district or magistrate judge, please contact that chambers directly (or contact the Clerk's Office at 314-244-7900 or refer to the Court's website www.moed.uscourts.gov for chambers contact information);
- If you are an attorney scheduled to appear in Bankruptcy Court before a bankruptcy judge, please contact that chambers directly (or contact the Bankruptcy Court Clerk’s Office at 314-244-4500 or refer to the Court’s website at www.moeb.uscourts.gov for chambers contact information);
- For U.S. Trustee matters, including §341 meeting of creditors, please contact the U.S. Trustee at 314-539-2976;
- If you are scheduled to meet with a Pretrial Services officer, please contact the office of Pretrial Services at 314-244-7000 (or 573-331-8973 for Cape);
- If you are scheduled to meet with a Probation officer, please contact the Probation office at 314-244-6700 (or 573-331-8980 for Cape);
- If you are a juror, please contact the Jury Department at 314-244-7850 (573-331-8800 for Cape);
- For Court of Appeals matters, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 314-244-2400;
- For Federal Public Defender matters, please call the Federal Defender at 314-241-1255 (or 573-339-0242 for Cape);
- For US Attorney matters, please contact the main line at 314-539-2200 (or 573-334-3736 for Cape);
- For US Marshals Service matters, please call the main line at 314-539-2212 (or 573-986-4747 for Cape);
- For District Court matters and any miscellaneous matters, please contact the Clerk of the District Court at 314-244-7890.
These restrictions will remain in place temporarily until it is determined to be safe to remove them. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
If you have any questions as to this policy please contact Clerk of Court Gregory J. Linhares at email@example.com or (314)244-7890.